Escarpment Council Purpose & Objectives
The Niagara Escarpment Parks and Open Space System (NEPOSS) agencies are responsible for managing public land on the Niagara Escarpment. The NEPOSS Council is organized to advance the NEPOSS objectives identified in the Niagara Escarpment Plan. It was created in recognition of a need to foster dialogue on management issues and improve liaison, shared resources, and coordinated action among the agencies.
As Advisors to the NEPOSS Council, the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Niagara Escarpment Commission provide program support and resources. The Advisors work collaboratively with the NEPOSS Members to ensure that Council initiatives are compatible with existing policies and programs. The Ministry of Natural Resources connects the Council with MNR branches, field offices, and stakeholders to provide direction on planning issues and natural feature protection and management.
The Council will:
- Provide effective leadership for coordinated park management and stewardship
- Protect natural and cultural heritage features
- Support the growth of NEPOSS through land securement initiatives
- Develop a centralized strategic marketing and communication process
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders and Aboriginal Communities to address common park and open space issues and interests
- Work together to provide an interconnected system of trails and educational and recreational opportunities
- Report and respond to the Ministry of Natural Resources as requested
- Report to their respective organizations on Council initiatives