What does the Escarpment Parks and Open Space System do?
- Protect unique ecological and historical areas
- Provide opportunities for outdoor education and recreation
- Provide public access to the Niagara Escarpment
- Complete a public system of major parks and open space through additional land acquisition and park and open space planning
- Secure a route for the Bruce Trail
- Maintain and enhance the natural environment of the Niagara Escarpment
- Support tourism by providing opportunities on public land for discovery and enjoyment by Ontario’s residents and visitors
- Educate visitors and community members on the Niagara Escarpment
- Show leadership in supporting and promoting the principles of the Niagara Escarpment’s UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve Designation through sustainable park planning, ecological management, community involvement, environmental monitoring, research and education.
The Park System is based on public lands acquired to protect distinctive features and significant areas along the Escarpment.